Problems of problematic alcohol consumption rose from 25 to 37%
They have between 18 and 24 years of age, an advanced schooling and do not present evident social or economic difficulties: they are the subjects who, according to the Addiction Service of Ulss 3 Serenissima, are more exposed to the increasing diffusion of exaggerated or exaggerated alcohol consumption methods. however problematic.
- The SerD, which took stock of the problem during the “Alcohol Prevention Day” held last Friday at the Ospedale dell’Angelo, highlights how the phenomenon is worrying also in our cities.
- “The data of the ‘Passi’ survey on life – underlines Dr. Laura Suardi, scientific manager of the event – have also highlighted a significant increase in the problematic consumption of alcohol in our territory, especially among young people: it has gone from the percentage of 25.1% in 2019 to 36.91% of 2020.
And it concerns a greater percentage of males, aged 18-24, with a high level of education, without significant evidence of social or economic problems “.”The harmful and risky consumption of alcohol – explains Dr. Suardi – represents an important public health problem, responsible in Europe for about 4% of all deaths and about 5% of the years of life lost due to disability.
Italy about 800,000 minors and 2,600,000 over 65 are to be considered at risk for alcohol-related diseases and problems.
Nevertheless, the consumption of alcoholic beverages is often perceived as a normal and healthy habit and problems related to drinking are not duly perceived and are definitely underestimated “.
In 2020, the year marked by the pandemic and the lookdown, the SerD operators explain, the notable changes in the habits and lifestyle of Italians brought to light many critical issues: “One of these concerned the risky and harmful consumption of alcohol.
Isolation has increased the uncontrolled consumption of alcoholic beverages, the market has strengthened new alternative channels that are less controlled even with respect to the ban on selling to minors.
- ISTAT data referring to the year 2020 confirm the trend of the last few years of the increase consumption of alcoholic beverages between meals.
- Over the last ten years there has been a progressive increase in the share of female consumers “.
Among the most at risk, there are young people
“The consumption of alcoholic beverages among young people – underlines Dr. Annarosa Pettenò, psychologist of the SerD and scientific organizer of the event – a criticality remains, and the behaviors at risk on alcohol consumption in the young people are particularly common in the age group between 18 and 24 years.
- among these binge drinking, that is the consumption of five or more alcoholic drinks in a few hours, represents the most widespread and consolidated habit, progressively increasing.
- 2019 in fact concerned 16% of young people between 18 and 24 years of age, that is 20.6% of males and 11% of females.
- In 2020 the phenomenon of binge drinking affected 18.4% of young people between 18 and 24 years of age, in detail 22.1% of males and 14.3% of females.