They affect the same areas of the digestive tract that are prone to inflammation. They occur more frequently:
- Tumors of the oral cavity
- Throat tumors
- Barrett’s esophagus and tumor of the esophagus
- Breast cancer.
Note: in this regard it is good to remember that these harmful effects are synergistic with those of smoking.
Is alcohol harmful in pregnancy?
The negative effect of alcohol is not so much linked to the health of the mother, as to that of the baby. Children of alcoholic women are highly likely to suffer from fetal alcohol syndrome (mental impairment, microcephaly and heart malformations).
Furthermore, as we have already said, alcohol abuse is associated with malnutrition and consequent hypovitaminosis. The pregnant woman has higher nutritional requirements, which guarantee an adequate development of the fetus. If these are not met, the chances of serious complications increase.
Then, a constantly high alcohol level increases the chances that the unborn child will develop an attitude to alcohol consumption in adulthood.For further information: alcoholism and hypovitaminosis, alcohol and gastritis, alcohol and pregnancy.
Does ethanol compromise the immune system?
Yes, alcohol abuse partially depresses immune function. This is true both for the single event, in which a greater susceptibility to infections was detected for at least 24 hours, and in the long term.
- In particular, the research has shown a greater sensitivity to lung diseases such as pneumonia and tuberculosis.
What does the addiction of the alcoholic depend on?
Drinking often causes greater tolerance towards alcohol. This phenomenon is attributable to two phenomena:
- Increase of MEOS (microsomal system of oxidation of ethanol): it is one of the metabolic pathways for the disposal of alcohol
- Brain habits: The brain gets used to functioning properly in the presence of significant alcohol. If alcoholism is severe, the brain does NOT function properly without blood alcohol (psycho-physical addiction).
- Addiction and Abstinence
What do alcoholism and withdrawal symptoms depend on?
Alcohol addiction or alcoholism
Alcoholism has a genetic basis; that is, there is an individual predisposition to alcohol consumption. Addiction is characterized by these conditions and behaviors:Withdrawal symptoms if alcohol is stoppedLack of control over the level of recruitment; research of alcohol as a prioritySuspension of all other drinking activitiesContinuation of alcohol consumption despite physical and psychological damage.
After a partial or total abstention from alcohol, the withdrawal syndrome appears, characterized by a wide range of symptoms:
- Tremors, nausea, vomiting
- Profuse sweating
- Anxiety, insomnia
- Hallucinations, both visual and auditory
- Confusion with space-time disorientation
- Dysarthria, ataxia (difficulty in articulating words and harmoniously coordinating the various movements)
- Convulsions (12-48 hours after discontinuation).